Thursday, November 12, 2015

USB3 Ethernet Adapter

Just bought Vantec CB-U300GNA based on this review. I have need of one because my old laptops only have 10/100 ethernet and the standard RJ45 plug gets stuck in my computer jack. I worry about the 100Base-T since I am paying for 50Mbps connection speed. For $18, it's not too risky an investment and should give me plenty of overhead for my 50Mbps internet connection and any other sharing I want to do behind my ethernet hub.

One thing nice about having a USB ethernet module is being able to have one single MAC address to access my router's administration page (that is, blacklist all other MAC addresses to keep it relatively secure). Now whenever I need to access my router's administrative page, I plug in any computer to that USB ethernet adapter and I'm off and running.

The adapter claims to have wake-on-LAN, which is a feature I always wanted to test out. Never tried waking a computer up over USB, but there's always a first for everything? Will update in the future if I ever get around testing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment