Friday, February 27, 2015

SB6141 Dim Activity Light (DIY)

source: http://thisdoesnotcompute.org/2013/10/06/fix-for-blindingly-bright-motorola-cable-modem-lights/

I used his method to open up the box. My only improvement is suggesting aluminum foil, wrapped around the "lighting guide" on the front panel.

I attempted to use sharpie on the board LED, but afraid of increasing the thermal resistance to the LEDs. I was going to use electrical tape, but none in my lab yet. Either way, aluminum foil is light, interrupts the light path, but low thermal resistance.

I would recommend replacing the resistors with higher values but... just in case the changes are evident in the board, I opted not to use this method (also, 0201, please correct me if I'm wrong, parts are a little bit out of my comfort range).

Future things I would like to do when warranty is out: replace heatsink because somehow the modem generates plenty of heat and replace load resistor to the LEDs to dim in a more efficient manner.

Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment